Monday, February 3, 2020

Warm Welcome!

     The wooden desks have a coat of fresh paint.  Half of the community/dining room has been painted,  more later I'm told. The tables in the dining room have designs painted on them. The old, wooden school house has been spruced up and all the teachers are glad that the new one isn't ready yet....6 six years? and counting. Me too! The old school suits me just fine.
     The teachers and my returning students gave me a warm welcome. The thirteen students that I met in third grade were skeptical as our hour began. By the end of the time they had decided that I might be a worthy diversion.
     There is a new teacher in 4th grade, nicknamed, Cat. She'd spent the morning in the teacher's lounge, where I hang out between classes. At 10:30,  when it was time for me to teach 4th grade, I invited her to accompany me. By spending the hour with me while I'm teaching she has a chance to pick up some English without having to be on the spot. Two of the student teachers were also in the room and all the teachers have a very difficult time allowing the students to answer. When I smile at the teachers and pinch my lips they get the hint. 
     Nicknames are a lifesaver for me. Thai names tend to run to multi-syllables. Fortunately every child is given a nickname at birth by their mother. These nicknames are what I learn. There is both a 'C' and a 'Q' in third grade, both are boys. Much of the time I am unable to tell gender by the nickname.
      Go, the 40 something principal, is serious about improving the school. When I asked her about the progress she wrinkled her nose but then said that test scores are improving. She finds some hope in that.
     So, finally, I'm doing that for which I came.

Takk for alt,

Al

Opening exercises.

Teachers in their uniforms.

4th grade

4th grade

4th grade, note the painted desks.

No comments: