Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A new challenge!

    It was joyous reunion with the 5th grade, 25 students and much sparkle in the group. (If you're on Facebook go to my page where the Principal posted pictures from the first day, and look at the video of 5th graders swarming me."  Many of the names came back to me from previous years.
    Now in my 4th year with them, and a small group, all of the 6th grade names came to me. But, I have a real challenge with them. With the older groups I will speak Thai words and phrases and they say the word/phrase in English. Using my Thai phrase book I do the same, speaking Thai and they responding in English. They were unstoppable! There were a couple of phrases they stumbled on but they were so proficient I'll have to produce some new lesson plans! Of course it is a nice problem and the 6th teacher's English is excellent and she's very helpful. We ended up in conversation; I, on one side, and the students collaborating on their part.
    The teachers at lunch sit in the same configuration every day. On my left is the 6th grade teacher and on my right is the first grade teacher, who was new last year and she's been reluctant to use her English. The principle sits at the end of the table one place from me. She and I conspired to encourage the first grade teacher to use some English. We told the teacher she couldn't leave lunch until she spoke five English sentences to me. It's all in fun and it turns our she does know some English. All students study it trough University so she needs encouragement. If I have an impact on the school it may be in raising the level of English among the faculty.

Takk for alt,

Al
5th grade
5th grade


6th grade

Where the painting stopped. For the first time ever the ceiling of the dining hall got some paint...until they ran out of time.



No comments: