Thursday, February 27, 2020

Feb. 27, what might have been.

    Americans arriving in Thailand are given a 30 day visa upon arrival. Typically, for the past several years, I've been staying for six weeks. This means that either I've had go to the immigration office and purchase a visa extension or exit Thailand for another country. Then, when I returned to Thailand, I'd be granted another 30 day visa.
     This year my plan was to stay in Asia six weeks and manage that by spending some days in Cambodia. With the spread of the COVID-19 virus I decided to return early to avoid either the virus or quarantine.  Based on my original itinerary, today is the day I was scheduled to return. It looks as if that was a good decision. Following the news about the virus carefully as I do, it seems we are still at the tip of an iceberg. Certainly I'm no expert but I do expect a pandemic.
     Re-entry has been particularly easy for me this time. Traveling from the tropics to Minnesota winter as not been an issue. Having lived so many years in northern latitudes cold adjustment is almost instantaneous.  Of course that doesn't mean I like the cold, it just means that I can tolerate it.
    The most significant loss incurred with my early return was less time at "my"  school with students and teachers. The brief time I had was important for maintaining relationships and connections but leaves me wanting more. Seeing the significance of my presence at the school is humbling and motivates me to maintain the connection.  At the school I was once told that other volunteers come to teach English but I am the only one who returns. Perhaps it's that old business of the significance of "showing up."
    It is good to be home and spring approaches.

Takk for alt,

Al
My school.

No comments: