Saturday, February 15, 2020

Joanne's favorite!

   They had a goldfish once. That was the total pet experience in Joanne's family as she was growing up. In the fall of '76 Marilyn called Joanne and said, "I just think you should know, Frank's planning to give Al a dog for Christmas." Thus it began. The was pre-Google so off I went to the library to find out about Springer Spaniels. The dog was Kjell, who died of liver cancer when he was only 7. But, the die was cast. Then came Bjorn, followed by Kai, Gunnar, Kjell and now Trygve. Sella's birthday party complete, Trygve came home today.
   Joanne, as  was her nature, was tolerant of the dogs who lived with us. Should one have an "accident" it  was abundantly clear whose dog it was "Al, your dog just......!" Things changed with Trygve with whom she bonded. He is a particularly sweet dog and perhaps it was also a change in Joanne as she shifted into "senior living." . Trygve was clearly Joanne's favorite. So, I'm not alone anymore.

   Last night's blog about grief abounding struck a chord. A friend, who's wife recently died, emailed to say I "hit the nail on the head."  Closing in on the 2nd anniversary of Joanne's death I'm aware that my grief is at a different place than it was earlier. In the past I've described it as a dull ache and that is a good description of  my experience. It is a dull ache with occasional sharp pains.  Every day I miss her but the presence of absence has become the norm. When I replaced the toaster cover after my 2 a.m., jet lag snack, I thought "Joanne would like that."  It is poignant but not overwhelming.

Takk for alt,

Al

Kjell in the background and "Joanne's favorite" in front.


No comments: