Tuesday, September 22, 2020

We fell into Fall!

        Has there been a nicer first day of Fall than today?  At least the day meets my standards; sunny, light breeze and high temperature about 80. However, if I'm candid, I have to admit I can't clearly remember the weather on any other autumnal equinox. Whatever the past, today is exceptionally fine and I am enjoying it.

       Fieldwork has always been my favorite part of farming, at least when there are no breakdowns. Today there was just one small issue with the disc that allowed me to use some mechanical skills. Riding the tractor in such beautiful weather it was a joy to finish aerating that field of grass. There's plenty of time to think on the tractor so I planned my attack for rock picking.

      Elmo Agrimson was my first bishop in N.D.  He argued that farmers were thoughtful becasue fieldwork gave them so much time to think. None of my tractors have radios and if they did I wouldn't turn them on.

     Thinking of radios reminds me of a story from childhood. My older brothers, as teenagers, bought a used radio and put it in the barn so we could listen to it as we did chores. Dad thought that was foolish. The radio soon died. Before the brothers did anything about it Dad went to town and bought a new radio for the barn. He'd discovered he could here the news and farm markets while he did chores, and so, he had changed his mind.

Takk for alt,

Al

                                                                  Missing my students.


No comments: