Thursday, September 24, 2020

"Take it from the top"

     Many things I am not including a musician. However, I've heard much music including "Take it from the top." This is a very different taking it from the top. It is tree removal in tight quarters. It was the largest chinese elm I've seen. Bounded on the north and east by power lines, the south by my garage and the west  by a water meter it came down in pieces from up high. Only at the end was it revealed how fortunate I was.

     The tree was growing behind the garage where my tractors live. Ever since I bought the garage I've worked around and under it. Recently noting how it towered over the utility pole with two transformers I decided to contract for its removal. A crew of four arrived at 8:00 a.m. and by ll:00 the tree was down, the wood removed and the ground raked. 

     Watching the process reminded me of ballet as the men moved in practiced concert. In conversation I learned that they did tree removal on Wednesdays and Saturdays, the days they had off from their regular jobs. The man in the bucket high overhead knew just how to cut the big branch that stretched far over a powerline. 

    Last there was large four foot stump, 8 feet in circumference, which was cut off just above the ground. When they tipped it over it came apart longitudinally. The tree had two trunks growing so closely that it appeared to be one. This feature would reduce the tree's ability to withstand wind as either part could split off. It's very fortunate that never happened and it came safely down. 

    Just one more way I'm very fortunate.

Takk for alt,

Al


                                                                             Before

                                                                                  During
                                                                              Timber!!!!!!!!!
                                                           Notice the split in the stump.
                                                            After, raking up the debris.

No comments: