Friday, September 18, 2020

Birds are migrating

       At sunrise this morning the yard of The Little House was filled with flickers. Flickers aren't usually seen in Sinai so these must be migrating. Robins disappeared then some days later there were many in the yard but now they're gone. Blackbirds are flocking up. Hawks are moving through. Water birds; ducks, pied-billed grebes, egrets, pelicans and great blue herons are still here. The bitterns, both american and least fly up, when I walk by the big slough west of town. Autumn is almost upon us. Some of the maples in town are showing red.

      My usual migration to Thailand will be replaced by hunkering down in the little house. Thailand is suffering financially becasue about 30% of their GNP comes from tourism. The borders have been closed to tourist for months. The latest scheme floated by the Thai government is to open to tourists that quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival and stay for 3 months, with renewable 3 month stays. Past practice was that arrivals got a 30 day visa which could be renewed at a customs office.

      The two hours I spent walking in grasslands this morning will be replaced by what come winter?  Normally I'd be teaching at Noble Academy these days. Even if I could go now masks would make it impossible for me to hear the students. It was a struggle without masks becasue of my hearing issues and their soft speech.

       While I'm alone I'm not lonely. That's primarily becasue of the telephone. Phone conversations keep my connected and my people bladder adequately filled. Truly I'm one of the lucky ones. A friend said the other day "Were Joanne still with us she'd fill the time phone banking for political candidates." True, she'd thrive on that while in isolation.


Takk for alt,

Al

               

                        These fishermen are fishing in what once was Quail's front yard.

No comments: