Monday, September 21, 2020

Gentleman farming.

       In the summer of '57 I worked for a farmer and we put in long hours. Breakfast was at 5:30 a.m, dinner at noon and supper at 9:00 p.m. We worked from breakfast, with a half hour for dinner and quit at supper time. No more! Now I'm a gentleman farmer. Several hours in the field this morning was enough. It reminded me of Andrew Nelson. Andrew was a local trucker and he was hauling grain from our farm to town when I was a boy.  His truck was loaded at 4:00 p.m., and he said "This is my last load for the day. Tomorrow is another day and if it isn't it doesn't matter."  It would have been easy to finish aerating that field today but I thought "tomorrow is another day....." so I quit. Besides finishing it will be a good project for tomorrow.  

      This quote is from a delightful book (I'll write about it when I've finished it.) "The days went by like wheat sheared off by the sickle, shredded into minutes and quickly lost sight of in the constant stream flowing out of the spout into the grain bin. I lost track of them."  So true. Saturday I tried to call the Social Security Office in response to a letter. In fact I tried twice before I realized it was Saturday and that's why they didn't answer. 😁 That's the way the days go by!

    The aeration has turned up many gifts of the glacier, also known as rocks. Picking rocks is in my future. More good projects for another day. Eighty degrees today. Does that qualify as Indian Summer? We did have very light frost some days ago. Excellent weather for harvest. Some years farmers have struggled with wet conditions, rain and even snow. Unless there is a radical change there shouldn't be any combines stuck in the mud.

Takk for alt,

Al

                                 Want to borrow the equipment for your lawn?
                                                        Moisture will be better absorbed.
                             Trees by my pond are just beginning to show fall colors.


No comments: