Saturday, September 19, 2020

Thatch

     How long has it been since you had your lawn aerated?  Thatch builds up you know and it's good for the grass to aerate it occasionally. That's also true of grasslands. Natures way is via prairie fires. However, burning is not always feasible becasue fire is not always easy to control. One of my neighbors was burning some grass near his barn, (not recently) the fire got away, his barn burned. Fortunately he had no livestock.

      One of my grass fields was inaccessible for several years because of high water. Year after year the grass would grow profusely, die and turn into thatch. This dry summer, three truckloads of rocks on the crossing and now the field can be reached. It has been bailed, so today, I was picking rocks on it and noticed a thick layer of thatch. The mowing and bailing did not disturb the thatch as much as I hoped. So, the Monday project will be to aerate it.  It's always good to have project, perhaps I'll even take a picture.

       Such is life in and around The Little House!


Takk for alt,

Al

                                                 In normal times I'd be at Noble Academy these days.


No comments: