Friday, March 8, 2019

3/8/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
   "Old age is not a defeat but a victory, not a punishment but a privilege." Abraham Heschel.  "A mosaic of activities is within the reach of most older adults. More than any other age group, people over 50 have the resources (time, money, experience) to fill their lives with interesting, worthwhile, entertaining and enjoyable activities and experiences."  Bob Ramsey.  Both of these quotations are found on p. 219, Elders Rising, Roland D. Martinson, Word and World Books, 2018.
    "Victory" and "privilege" certainly are my experience of 'elderhood'.  Every decade of my life has been better than the previous ones in many respects.  Joanne's death is a huge reminder that life is gift.  Living with her for over five decades was a huge blessing.  Yet, her death has not ended the privilege of my blessed life.
    In conversation with L today I acknowledged how fortunate I am and my determination to make the best of the time I've been given and the health I enjoy.  In this context it's also my responsibility to take reasonable care for the sake of those who have investment in me.  While I treasure my independence I'm committed to living inter-dependently.  As Bob Ramsey writes I have "interesting, worthwhile, entertaining and enjoyable activities and experiences."  For this I am deeply grateful.

Blessings,

Al

Pictures:  The walking street in Melbourne makes Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis look very barren.

No comments: