Tuesday, March 5, 2019

3/5/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 37 minutes ago
    There's a reason that people sometimes ask "Have you done your grief work?"  Grieving is work and doing it "well" is important.  This thought was brought to mind when I read the following little article in the February 13, 2019 issue of The Christian Century, p. 9.   

    "DEATH  BOOM: There is going to be a death boom in the coming decades with the aging baby boomer generation.  A society known for being in denial about death will be ill prepared for it.  As other social systems wane, the workplace has increasingly become a significant place where people look for emotional support.  Employers should consider offering grief training so employees know how to deal with grief when a loved one dies and understand the grief experienced by their colleagues.  Unresolved grief interferes with daily functioning and can lead to increased heart disease, strokes and cancer. Los Angeles Times, January 12)"

     Have I done my grief work?  I've certainly tried to face the reality of the presence of absence in the land of grief.  Perhaps a better question would be "Am I doing my grief work?" because grief is never "done".  The equanimity that I now experience may be evidence that I have been doing the work of grieving.   
   While Joanne was still in the hospital, but after she'd decided to enter hospice care, a nurse asked "Do you have faith community to support you?"  Joanne, of course answered in the affirmative and it was comforting to look out her hospital window and see the building of her (our) faith community, Grace University Lutheran.  You may remember on her final ride in the car her one request was to drive by the church.  It was a poignant moment for us both as we knew the next time she would be at church was for her funeral.  Perhaps it would be good for employers to step up, but as for me and my house, we had another resource...one that continues its nurture of me.   I'm so blessed!

Blessings,

Al

Pictures: 1. I'm back to teaching now and here are some of my students, 2. the 3rd grade who respond to movement in learning,  3. celebrating the felling of palm tree, 4. kindergarten class, 5. another view of raising the flag

No comments: