Saturday, March 23, 2019

3/23/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Ironic isn't it that Joanne, the ultimate doer, should be remembered by two chairs.  When we were dating I was concerned about her fatigue...working too hard with inadequate rest.  She was head resident of a co-ed dorm, instructor in psychology and Augustana's first director of student activities.  Naturally I was not successful in getting her to slow down and that was the story of our marriage throughout her working life.  For example when she was working at Lutheran Social Services, MN., she'd drive from our home in suburban Minneapolis to Moorhead, MN., 4 hours?, work until 5:00 pm and drive home.  Yes, that's the way she worked.
    When she retired in her early 70s she had a personality transplant.  Especially in her last years she could sleep in, sometimes as late as 10:00 am.  It was during these years that her recliners became a place of refuge.  After one of her seven back surgeries we went to a furniture store to buy her first Lazyboy Recliner.  She was still wearing a back brace after surgery when we visited the store.  She settled into chair on the showroom floor and she  awoke to me saying to the clerk "I guess I better pay for this one."  When she was phoned the next day to evaluate our experience at the store she told about falling asleep in the chair at the store and suggested they use her experience in her advertising.
     The second chair just sort of happened.  There was an estate auction near The Little House on the Prairie.  Thinking I might find a tool or maybe a kitchen stove for The Little House I got a bidding number.   The stove was too expensive as was the anvil.  The auctioneer was moving quickly down the household items and came to a Lazyboy Recliner which looked brand new.  He started the bidding at $20.00, I raised my hand and that was the only bid.  Now Joanne had twin recliners, one in the condo and one in The Little House.  (Oh, yes, I also bought a tractor on the sale but that's another story.)
     Yes, it's deeply ironic that this woman with a lifetime of accomplishments is now being remembered via two chairs.  They did make her last years much more comfortable with her back pains and chronic cough.   Now for me they are a reminder of the presence of absence in my land of grief.

Blessings,

Al

Chair one, The Little House; Chair two in the condo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it when individuals come together and share thoughts.
Great site, keep it up!