Sunday, March 17, 2019

3/17/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 24 minutes ago
    Readers of this blog may remember that in response to the quote from Abraham Heshcel, "Old age is not a defeat but a victory, not a punishment but a privilege" in Martinson's book, Elders Rising, I wondered if Heschel's assertion was universally true.  It is my perception of my life, i.e. that age is a gift, but today I asked Martinson if it was true of all of the 53 persons he interviewed in writing the book.  He said "No, there were 4, persons of the 53, who would disagree."
   The difference was not in economic or physical constraints.  One of the happiest persons he interviewed had spent much of his life homeless.  Most of the interviewees over age 75, were dealing with significant challenges to their health.  Many of them turned those challenges into opportunities for growth.  The unhappy elderly were the ones who felt sorry for themselves, in my words, those who saw themselves as victims.
   Martinson said three factors influence longevity.  The three are genetics, self-care and meaningful relationships.  Obviously the first is out of our control, simply the luck of the draw.  Responsibility for living a healthy lifestyle rests with us.  The choices we make can also be instrumental in forming and maintaining healthy relationships.
    For anyone who wants to think about creative aging, I highly recommend the book.  My response to the discussion is a powerful feeling of gratitude for all my blessings including the gift of elderhood.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: