Thursday, March 28, 2019

3/28/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 22 minutes ago
      Ada was born with a clubfoot which went untreated as a child.  Embarrassed by her daughter's deformity Ada's mother kept her confined to their one room flat in London.  When school children were being evacuated from London in anticipation of German bombing early in WW II, Ada runs away to join the evacuation.  When the train stops and children are allowed to use the toilet Ada goes to the sink to wash her hands and sees a dirty girl with unkempt hair staring at her across the sink.  With a start she recognized herself, seen for the first time in a mirror.  So writes Kemberely Brubaker Bradley in The War That Saved My Life.  It's one of the books I'm reading with elementary students.
      Today, when a friend reflected on her perception of me, I felt a bit like Ada, "O that's what I'm like now?"  The refraction of my self-presentation led me to conclude that I feel more like myself than I have for a (?) year.  As I told a friend "I feel like I have myself back."
      From the initial decision Joanne made to enter hospice, through her last days and death I tried to face reality.  Denial was tempting but I did my best to avoid that.  Perhaps facing reality and allowing myself to experience the pain has helped to bring me to this point.  Clearly I did not do it alone as family and friends have accompanied me every step of the way.  Hope has returned and I'm grateful!

Blessings,

Al

Pictured some of the students who are reading The War That Saved My Life

No comments: