Thursday, March 14, 2019

3/14/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 26 minutes ago
   "Living with loss" is the title of Chapter 11, Elder's Rising: The Promise and Perils of Aging, Roland D. Martinson, or, as I call it, life in the land of grief, is a reality of aging.  Martinson quotes Mohsin Hamid, "Old age is living with loss."  He also quotes Burt, age ninety two, "Tending my grief is always with me; it is a major concern and an ongoing task in my life.  On the way, storytelling...(is) my pathway of healing and bridge to the future."  p. 191
    These statements ring true to my experience and I have often quoted Karen Blixen "Any grief can be bourne if you tell a story about it."   It seems important that I live with my grief, yet I don't want grief to define me.  In the months since Joanne died I've tried to keep life on track without succumbing to the temptation of denial.  There are many ways in which I feel life returning (?), is that the right word?  Yet, moving on without her often seems wrong.  
    Joanne often appears in my dreams always doing normal things.  Last night we were camping in Norway and she was physically capable, like she was twenty years ago.  We were scrambling up steep hills together and enjoying the spectacular scenery.  Dreams, is this the way that she is with me now?

Blessings,

Al

PS  While old age is a gift to me I'm still perking on the universality of that idea.

No comments: