Tuesday, March 19, 2019

3/19/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 18 minutes ago
      Some dates are frozen in my memory; Joanne's birthday, the day she died, but others not so much.  This is approximately the anniversary of Joanne's entrance into hospice care.  She died April 12, and was in hospice for 23 days, so........
       Most often my memory of that time is of her presiding from her recliner.  If I focus I can recall the trauma of caring for her toward the time she died.  But, it's those days that were spent mostly in her chair that usually come to mind.  The hospital bed, oxygen machine and other hospice equipment were quickly removed after her death and the condo returned to it's usual configuration.  Her chair sits unused, not that avoid it for any emotional reasons, it just doesn't fit me.  The prayer bear from N.D., sits in it with an African scarf, presented to her during her virtual trip to Africa, draped over the back.  Occasionally I'll sit in the rocker next to her chair if I use "her" TV.  The presence of absence is most pronounced in her chair.
     As I work through her file cabinets memories flow and questions abound.  There are so many questions I'd like to ask about so much.   

Blessings,

Al

No comments: