Monday, March 11, 2019

3/11/19 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
    The time since Joanne's death has been marked with extraordinary kindnesses to me, both large and small.  S and I have lived apart most of our adult life.  We always stayed in touch and every contact helped nurture this long friendship. When J married into our family we discovered that J and S were also friends and that brought us together more frequently.  Since Joanne's death S has been very attentive to me.  Today S's mailing brought news of the death of Joanne Ambroson. 
    In 1964 I was living in First Lutheran Church in downtown Sioux Falls, S.D., and attending Augustana College.  Joanne A, was taking night classes at Sioux Falls College and, because she didn't have a car, I gave her rides to class.  While I remember Joanne A, very clearly, I have no recollection of seeing her since 1964 and we did not remain in contact with each other.  Still, news of her death makes me sad.  Each acquaintance who dies takes with them a unique perspective on shared history...no one else knows what transpired in those moments.
   It brought to mind the truth embodied in John Donne's poem For Whom the Bell Tolls:
"If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know 
for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."
   This death is one of those occasions that would have prompted conversation between us because the Joannes knew each other.  As, yes, there is so much I'd like to discuss.  Ironically the Joannes were almost twins; Joanne N, born 4/1/36 and Joanne A, 4/25/36.

Blessings,

Al 

Picture:  Grade 6, with a good view of the classroom...I think the room has 'soul'.  It was Wednesday because that's the day they wear Scout uniforms.

No comments: