Friday, March 29, 2019

3/30/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
So, have any of you readers out there in the blogsphere ever have the experience of Joanne finishing your sentence?   In this experience of her prolonged absence the little annoyances that got under my skin seem so petty.  Really, how serious was it that she neglected to re-fill the butter dish?  Did it really matter that for fifty-five years she could know what I was going to say and say it before I could?  Slow of thought and slow of speech I am, so she couldn't wait to keep the conversation going.
    With a bit of time on my hands during spring break from school I've been sorting through her files, and there were many.   Pausing to read one of her performance reviews...stellar of course...the evaluator concluded by saying "Her energy level is indicated by her tendency to complete my sentences."  Yes, I laughed out loud...it wasn't only me that noticed but he seemed more bemused than annoyed.
   One of her little pet peeves was when I failed to replace the toaster cover, which I've previously reported.  Now, approaching the first anniversary of her death, I always replace that cover.  Every time I do it, it is a little reminder of her and the act of replacing it is a small way to honor her memory.  So, too, is keeping the condo tidy which I do for myself but it's also a little salute to her because I know she would be pleased. 


Blessings,


Al

No comments: