Monday, March 4, 2019

3/4/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 1 minute ago
Readers who have been with the Caring Bridge side of this blog for awhile are aware that it arose out of Joanne's (my wife) illness and death.  Next month brings several significant anniversaries related to her.  April 1, is her birthday, she died on April 12, and, of course, then came her funeral followed by her burial in South Dakota.  So, I've lived in the land of grief for almost a year.
    There are many signs in my life that that time has brought me healing.  When I remember how raw the grief was those first days and weeks it's clear it is easier now.  Yet, I'm also aware that I need to be conscious of the approach of those significant anniversaries and have a plan.  That's as far as I have gotten.  The shape of a plan is not clear to me though some elements I know.  It will involve people, story telling, hopefully laughter, remembering and a large dosage of gratitude.
     Regular readers of this blog have been significant participants in my recovery.  Isak Dinesen was correct when she wrote "Any grief can be bourne if you tell a story about it."  An important part of storytelling is having listeners, or in this case readers.  Thank you for travelling with me as I learn life in the land of grief.

Blessings,

Al

Random Pictures: 1. raising the flag each morning, 2. raking the lawn for compost, 3. Nice at two and a half, 4. lunch time 5. student teachers and students working on a project

No comments: