Thursday, March 7, 2019

3/7/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
What goes into this question that I'm frequently asked?  "How can a geezer like you, without adult supervision, keep body and soul together?"  "Do you cook?"   "It's been ten months and I can see I  you're not starving how do you do it?"  For sure I'm not starving.  There seems to be a bit of curiosity about how I meet my nutritional needs.
   Truth be known, Joanne didn't cook the last few years of her life.  She'd earned a respite from that.  When she had our condo kitchen remodeled she had the range positioned so that, looking over it, offered a view out the sliding glass doors.  Her declining health meant that she didn't get that view very often.  We ate at a lot of happy hours.  Happy hours, with the small portions offered, worked well for us.  We would also graze and do some prepared meals.  There are also five restaurants on the skyway level in our building, open at lunch time, so that's another option. 
   Do I cook?  That depends on the definition of cooking.  Do I prepare complete meals using the burners or oven. Not so much.  Responding to the urging of L, vegetables, organic, frozen, find the table at least once a day as does a spinach salad at the recommendation of my optometrist.  She tells me that green, leafy vegetables plus broccoli, will arrest insipient macular degeneration.  During cold months frozen soups often accompany the spinach and vegtables.
   For a bit of variety tonight I baked a potato...how hard is that?...scrub, puncture, wrap in paper towel and microwave for six minutes.  It's a good excuse to eat butter, but, note to self, buy sour cream before baking the other potato.  
    So, nutritionally, perhaps I'm doing OK.  Variety was never high on my agenda.  When service is available on the sidewalks, now covered with snow, likely I'll seek out happy hours.  Trygve, the wonder dog likes that...his favortie is the place that always gives him a slice of bacon.
    So goes the single life in the land of grief.

Blessings,

Al

Pictures: 1. sweet sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf, 2. tea and sweet roll, 3. tea, ripe mango and sweet, sticky rice, 4.  the kitchen at "my" house, 5. 6 entree meal at my farewell event

No comments: