Sunday, March 10, 2019

3/10/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 31 minutes ago
Rollie Martinson interviewed 53 elders in connection with his book Elders Rising: The Promise and Perils of Aging.  As I reflect on this quote from Abraham Heschel "Old age is not a defeat but a victory, not a punishment but a privilege," which is in Rollie's book, I have a question.  "Rollie, would all 53 people you interviewed agree with Heschel?"  I'll see Rollie Sunday so I'll report his answer in this space.   Reading Heschel's assertion has caused me to reflect on my good fortune as an elder.  Blessed with health and resources, opportunities stretch before me.  The only appropriate response is gratitude and humility.  Knowing that these blessings are gifts and not reward all I can do is say, "thank you!"
    If elders have neither good health nor financial resources at what point is old age a defeat and a punishment?  Does Herschel's statement still apply to those in difficult circumstance due to either illness or poverty?  From my position of comfort can I assert old age as gift for others less fortunate? The answer to this is not clear to me.  What Rollie heard in those interviews, which included elders of widely varying circumstance, will help to answer this question.  Stay tuned.
    "Old age is not a defeat but a victory, not a punishment but a privilege" is true to my experience but that doesn't mean that it is universal.  It certainly means, for me, that I have much for which to be grateful.

Blessings,

Al

Picture: Demolishing the building across the street from the guesthouse in Bangkok.

No comments: