Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Visa Extended

     Today was the day to make my annual trek to the Immigration Office to get a visa extension.  Baring a warrant out for arrest, evidence of significant visa violations our other nefarious behavior it is pretty much a given that if you come up with the $60.00 fee it will be granted.  The challenge is to negotiate the beauracricy with sense of humor intact.  I'd give my self a 'C' grade.
     Filling out 6 forms all asking name, passport #, etc., under the guidance of a clerk who knew no English threatened to trip me up.  But I managed to grin an bear it. Much to my surprise the process was one step shorter than last year; the officer who handled my paper work also collected my fee rather than sending me to another desk.
     Clicking on the 'FLEXIBLE DATES' box on the Delta website led me to a cheap ticket.  However, the dates exceeded the 30 day limit for 'Thai visa on arrival' thus the trip to Immigration.  There was an anxious moment before boarding in Minneapolis.  Waiting to board I was paged to the desk...I always hate that...and they asked to see my Thai visa, saying I couldn't board without one.  Assuming the ultimate cool of the seasoned traveler and not wanting to be the annoying customer I explained 'visa on arrival' and that I did it every year.  "Ok, let me see your passport to see the previous visas."  "Well" I said "my new passport was issued in April."  With that the clerk made a long telephone call while I stood patiently (?) while the call confirmed my assertion.  All's well that ends well.
Sign on door of Immigration Office.

Ancient banyan tree. 

Third grade.

Third grade.

No comments: