Saturday, February 3, 2018

Doing What It Takes!

    I'm a geezer!  What do I know about coffee shop Wi-Fi?  Under L's guidance I bought a Surface Pro Laptop for travel...the choice dictated by my reluctance to learn Apple.  It's been great, that is, until I checked into the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse (BCGH) with its totally inadequate Wi-Fi.  Fortunately I called L this morning.  After an initial "I told to go to a hotel" she suggested going to a coffee shop, which had never occurred to this geezer.  Starbucks is just around the corner from BCGH so here I am.  I did have to swallow my 'superiority complex' about never frequenting American companies in Thailand.  It was a bit of a challenge to get online because of Thai security regulations...big brother is watching...but I can't say more.
    At school yesterday the students appeared in a uniform that was new to me. (see pictures below)  White pullover tops with black pants. Very classy looking.  Mentioning to a teacher that I hadn't seen this uniform before, she, said in effect, this is their temple/mosque uniform.  The Buddhists would go to the temple in the afternoon for an hour while the Muslims would go to the mosque.
    The official religion of Thailand is Buddhism but they are quite accommodating of other religions.  Everyday in their opening exercises they first all chant a Buddhist liturgy and then a Muslim one.  Where there Hindu or Christian students, for example, they would add those liturgies.
    Last year I had a fascinating conversation with the principal about atheism.  I asked her what the school would do if there were atheist students?  She could not comprehend the concept of atheism.   Even after a rather lengthy conversation it just made no sense to her.

   China has blessed us with a cool front this morning.  Leaving BCGH at noon it felt cool, and it was,  78 degrees at noon IS cool.  It's all relative I know.

  One of the blessings of being here is I've not heard one word about the Super Bowl.

   I'm having difficulty posting pictures so they made need to wait.





No comments: