Thursday, February 1, 2018

Providing Aid

    Ten years ago when I first taught school in Thailand I lived in a house with a number of other teachers. A  Thai woman named Gai, was our 'minder'.  She brought our food, taught us Thai and looked after us.
    It's Gai's daughters to whom we have been providing financial aid so that they can remain in school.  The eldest, Mia, eighteen, will complete her current course of studies and would like to continue at school enrolling in a two year course in marketing with an annual tuition of 12,000B, or, about $360.00.  In addition I paid school fees for her 12 year old sister Pairwa, of 8,000B, or. about $240.00.
   A few months ago Gai requested emergency assistance because Mia was hospitalized.  Gai said she was vomiting blood and had a gastrointestinal problem. Gai's English is limited so I wasn't able to learn more via email.
    Today I got the whole story.  Mia's appendix burst which explains a long hospital stay.  She's well on her way to recovery but still is on a limited diet.  
     Unfortunately, for once we didn't take pictures though I'll see them again while I'm here.

No comments: