Thursday, February 8, 2018

To Chiang Rai

      The trip I'm about to take needs some historical context.  Eight years ago when I was here teaching for the second time I was housed in a tiny house with another American volunteer.  The house was one of several in a family compound.  The daughter of the leading family in that com  pound, Pear, was in junior high.  Pear was very motivated to learn English so she and I spent much time talking.  On subsequent trips to Ayutthaya I would make contact with her family and with Pear.  For several years we've been Facebook friends.
     Pear attended a university in Chiang Rai, Thailand and finished classes almost a year ago.  This university does all instruction in English so it is very international.  On Monday, February 12, commencement exercises will be held for Pear's graduating class and I'm going to attend.
    Fifteen of Pear's family will be there.  We are all staying in the same resort.  They asked me to arrive on Friday because they have reserved a van for sight seeing on Saturday and Sunday.
   Chiang Rai is Thailand's northern most city located in the golden triangle of Myanmar, Laos and Thailand.  It was once famous for its drug trade.  It is about 400 miles north of Bangkok and very scenic.  It's about and hour and half flight from Bangkok's northern airport...the old one with a golf course laid out between the runways which now serves regional flights.
   After I finish teaching tomorrow (Friday) I'll take the mini bus to the airport.  Pear and I have talked for years about my attendance at her graduation.  Thai universities do not set their academic calendars very far in advance.  All Peat could tell me until a few weeks ago is that graduation would be in February.  However, with my plans to be here for the month that's all I needed to know. Yes, of course I'm excited...it promises to be a fun adventure,
Third grade + geezer.

Fifth grade + geezer.

No comments: