Sunday, February 11, 2018

Buddhist Day, Part 2.

      We spent and hour or so at the Buddhist Center then piled into our van going I knew not where.  Riding comfortably in a back seat I was happy to go where others planned.  To my happy surprise we went to a temple.  Now, any of you who may have read previous blogs know that I'm a bit cynical about visiting Buddhist temples.  Go anywhere in Thailand and the first thing a guest is shown is a temple so I've seen dozens. But, this is one I wanted to see.  I'd seen pictures of it but did not see it on my previous trip to Chiang Rai.
      So what is so special about this temple?  It's alabaster, gleaming white!  Thai nationals enter free but it cost me 50B, about $1.75.  Inside is unusually small and very ordinary, yet, wandering guards were strictly enforcing the rule of no pictures..  It's the outside that people come to see and there were huge crowds.
      It's surrounded by commercial establishments meant to capture visitors money.  This is true of every site in Thailand that draws crowds,   I tease my Thai teacher friends that Thai people love three things; eating, shopping and sleeping.  And, Buddhist Thai, love their temples.  In my brief commute to school I pass at least fourteen temples ancient and modern,

The temple from a distance.

Close up.

Chedi by the temple.

Sculpture in front of the temple.

No comments: