Tuesday, February 13, 2018

This is not Argentina!

     One night in Chiang Rai, for dinner we went to the Chiang Rai Steakhouse.  It was NOT a 'white table cloth' restaurant!   A little bigger than a 'hole-in-the-wall' it had stools instead of chairs and metal tables.  It proudly proclaimed  "WE SERVE LOCAL BEEF".  That was all I needed to know..."No beef for me"...because I've seen the beef on the hoof.  Sometimes they're grazing around the houses on our street...Thai lawnmowers.  They are zebu, the sacred cows you see in pictures of India, tall and skinny.  I've NEVER had good beef in Thailand so I knew better than to try now with the sign giving me fair warning.
    I ordered spaghetti which was a good choice.  Pear's Dad had a steak and it didn't look good.  The spaghetti wasn't bad even though the sauce had both corn and carrots.
    When it was discovered that the Steakhouse didn't serve alcohol Pear's, parents took orders and went down the street to Seven-Eleven and bought beer.
    One Thai food treat I can't do is boiled corn on the cob COLD, with neither salt nor butter.
Pear's family minus Pear.

No comments: