Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Farewell Thai Style

     There is at least one way that life in Thailand reminds of life with farmers in South Dakota.  The habit of farmers to leave the coffee or dinner table with out any sort of farewell always amused me.  There would be a pause in the conversation and someone would just get up and walk away.  They'd feel right at home with this custom in Thailand.  At lunch with the teachers when one is finished she just gets up and walks away with no farewell.  It's not just teachers, I've observed that practice in many settings.
    Usually it doesn't bother me.  Today a departure made me sad. Phosee, the principal left for a seminar that lasts until Sunday in another city.  We didn't say goodbye.  Yesterday she told me she was going so that was no surprise.  She was at school briefly this morning but by lunch she was gone.
    Most school days we've talked during my breaks.  Her English is quite good and she is motivated to improve.  If I use a word she doesn't know she looks it up and seeks clarity about its meaning and usage.  She has been very welcoming to me. I appreciate her efforts to improve the school.
    Had we the opportunity to say 'goodbye' I would have thanked her for her kindness and complimented her on work on behalf of the school and its students.  We are connected on Facebook so I will use that medium to convey my message,  However, the teachers are taking me to a restaurant for a 'thank you' lunch tomorrow and will miss her in that setting, too.
Some of the teachers with whom I'll go to lunch.

With the principal.

     The next day.  It turned out that she hadn't left so I did get say "goodbye".
😹

No comments: