Monday, February 12, 2018

Graduation...surprise!

    Well, when all was said and done, as they say, I didn't actually get to commencement.  Last night after dinner the family said a taxi would pick me up at 10:30 a.m., to bring me to the university (MFU) but the family must go early. They would meet me when I arrived at MFU.
   When I arrived people were lining up around the horseshoe drive around the perimeter of the campus mall.  Lining the drive sitting closest to the pavement were undergraduates in uniform. Behind them were people, including me, sitting in the grass waiting something???  Maybe a parade of graduates?  I didn't know.  After waiting awhile a marshal came and told me I must put my feet behind me...Thai have a big thing about feet.  Shortly seven of the biggest, new Mercedes I have ever seen come following a half dozen police cars (Accords and Camrys) in turn followed by a number of other fancy vehicles.  All vehicles in Thailand have deeply tinted windows so nothing of the occupants could be seen.  The crowd bowed and wii-ed as the motorcade passed.  When the last car passed everyone stood up and began moving away.
   Puzzled I said "What was that about?"   Do you want to guess?  I was clueless...no surprise there!  The princess, the late King's daughter had finished handing out the diplomas and she had just passed by.  Probably as close as I'll ever get to royalty and I'd been oblivious...not that it matters much to me.
   That's when I realized that I wasn't going to witness commencement...it was already over.  My guess is that with 2000 graduates seating was limited to a few members of immediate family.  Given the reality of Thai sensibilities I cannot ask.  Any questions from me about it would likely be read as disappointment or disapproval and put the family in an awkward position.  It would have been fun to witness but perhaps very tedious with 2000 graduates receiving diplomas.
   Pear and her family were tickled that I was here and I've had a great time with them.  That's what matters.  They are 'salt of the earth' folks with whom I bonded long ago and this has certainly deepened the connection.  Next week I hope to see the 'home stay' development Pear has facilitated in their family compound.  
   I'll have more to say about the day in a subsequent blog.

Looking across the pond and up the mall.

Waiting the princess.

With the graduate.

Pear with mother, father and grandmother.

No comments: