Sunday, February 25, 2018

All Was Revealed

    Readers of this blog may remember my SE Asia mantra "All will be revealed."  It's very helpful in many situations.  Countless times I've sought something in public, e.g., a seat on a minibus, and it totally appears that I'm forgotten.  Then at the right moment a signal is given and that what I sought magically appears.  Likely it's partly a language issue.  My lack of Thai combined with their limited English makes it difficult to communicate.  If I've seen a glimmer of recognition when I made my request I slip into "all will be revealed" mode and it always is.
    The mantra also works well when making plans with the family.  Case in point; Saturday, we took a driving trip to a bird sanctuary. With a day free an outing was in the works.  They floated the idea of a trip to the cave we first visited shortly after my arrival but I was cool to the idea because it was a four hour drive each way.
    The alternative planning was left up to them with the understanding it wouldn't be as far as the cave.. My assumption was we'd likely visit a temple.  Departure time was announced as 6am so I was up at 5am.  Actual departure was 8am.  We drove a couple of hours and pulled up in front of a bird sanctuary.  Wrong again...no temple.  The aviary was moderately interesting.
   On the return trip we stopped a warehouse type store.  They bought a year's supply of fish oil, two cases of bottles about the size of the usual wine bottle.  It wasn't all that expensive...which, I suppose
was why they went to that store.  Offering to pay for the oil it cost less than $25....Yes, I know I'm a big spender.
   I'm writing from Bangkok as I begin the journey home.

Ripe mango with sweet sticky rice...my favorite Thai dessert.

All of the 4th grade plus 6 3rd graders.

No comments: