Friday, February 23, 2018

"My Cup Runneth Over"

     Perhaps I should retract what I said in a previous blog about Thais and goodbyes.  Every year the school plans a special farewell and this year was no exception.  My small suitcase, small enough to be a carry on, has a been a point of pride.  It may be time to get a larger one for all the gifts that are showered upon me at the farewell.
     After lunch hour all the students were seated in the gathering room arranged by classes.  The room fell quiet...unheard of...and I expected it was in anticipation of a dramatic moment.  Eventually the students resumed their typical chatter and still we waited.  A passing teacher explained that we were waiting for the custodian who'd gone home with key to the room in which the microphone was housed.  Big drama. 😶😶
      The program began with my farewell address to the students followed by a thank you addresses from the school by one of the teachers and a student representative.  Then the students presented me with cards they had made and the teachers with gifts from the school...yes, they did find a silk shirt, blue, big enough for me!
       If I have doubts about returning the out pouring of affection and gratitude fills my cup so full I think "how could I not?"  One of the sweetest moments didn't get pictured.  There are several 6th grade boys always want to be near me; Bird, Yai, Fedin, Abradeen and Kabeem.  The program was over but the 6th grades hadn't left yet when the boys came and gave me a huge, group hug!

Third Grade with their card which has a picture of each of the 25 students.

Students presenting me their cards.

Kindergarten gathers for a picture.

No comments: