Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Memory unit here I come.

     While I was lunching in the OFH dining room today I took a call from my brother. Saying I'd call him back when I finished eating, I forgot until now. (4:30 pm) It's a good thing there is a memory care unit in the OFH.  I'll consider registering for it. 😀

    The purpose of his call was to tell me that one of our former elementary school teachers died. Long time readers of this blog may recall that we attended a rural, one room school for eight grades.  She was my teacher for grades 6, 7, and 8. Not only was she my teacher, she lived with us! When our farm house was remodeled it was configured with two separate living areas upstairs. Two stairways exited from the kitchen, up one staircase were three bedrooms where I lived with my family. Up the other staircase was a guest bedroom and the house' only bathroom. The arrangement worked well for housing a teacher. On weekends she went to her parental home.

    At least we could have gotten a ride to school and back, but, no we had to walk that mile both ways no matter the cold. She went to school early and came home late. It's a bit awkward to house one's teacher when one is an adolescent. She joined us for breakfast and dinner and I suspect that Mother made her noon lunch. In her favor was that she didn't use her proximity to my parents to rat me out. My academic failures are not her fault. 

     Rest in peace; Bonnie Pierce, September 11, 1930-January 23, 2022. 

Takk for alt,

Al


The school building, where Bonnie taught and I was a student for eight grades, is now in my nephew's farm yard. 

      



No comments: