Thursday, June 6, 2019

6/6/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
"You haven't changed a bit" and other lies...You, mean, I was old, fat and grey 55 years ago?😁   Much happened in those 55 years and 'you can't take that away from me.'  So many good memories and a few embarrassing ones that now, only I know.
    The weather today is like it was 55 years ago, sunny and warm.  On Sunday I graduated from Augustana college and Saturday, same week, we were married...at the church where I lived.😋  Yes, for a year I lived in an apartment in First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls.  It was a good arrangement for a student. In addition to assisting the custodian I locked up an night and provided night time security.  Getting to my wedding was simple.😊 
  Joanne was living in the head resident apartment at Bergsaker Hall, the first co-ed dorm, at Augustana.  We lived there the first two months of our married life, managing the dorm and I had mail room duties too. In addition to her duties as head resident, Joanne, was the first Director of Student Activities and instructor in psychology.
   It was an evening wedding, 7:00 p.m., with a punch, cake and coffee reception in the church fellowship hall.  In addition to the standard wedding cake we also had the Norwegian Krunskake (this may not be the correct spelling.)  It's almond flavored and made it rings so it is tall standing cone.  The  Krunskake was in my apartment for a day before the wedding and my mother-in-law was fearful of ants contaminating it.  Though, I'd never seen an ant the apartment, I arose in the middle of the night to put out the ant poison which I'd promised but forgotten to do.
   There wasn't much time for a honeymoon.  Joanne had accepted a job as a counselor at St. Louis Park, MN., High School, on the condition that she would have a Minnesota State License.  She lacked one graduate course to qualify so she had registered for it at The University of South Dakota, Vermilion.  Classes began for her the Monday after our wedding.  With time so short we went to a Holiday Inn in Sioux City for one night...how romantic was that?
    When we returned to our dormitory apartment mice had invaded.  They had short sheeted the bed, switched salt and sugar, put plastic under the toilet seat and set red jello in the bathtub. Now, who would think of doing such a thing?
    Yes, a few of my memories....

   With my fields too wet to work I've been walking in my grassland.  It is fun to see meadowlarks, brown thrashers, bobolinks, red-wing and yellow-headed blackbirds, morning doves, field sparrows, canada geese with goslings, mallards, teal, cormorants, and one monarch.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: