Tuesday, June 18, 2019

6/18/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
                                                          Bright Wind

                                "I recognized you when you spoke my name 
                                 in dawn's light pattered within window frames.
  
                                 "You brightened every pine bough in high summer,
                                  and arrived again in moments--as if you were every away--

                                 "returning with a fierceness that stung my jaw
                                  when I opened my mouth to the sea and breathed.

                                 "And you spoke with a force that wills everything,
                                  sweeping stiff clothes white, alive to living.

                                 "Your bright wind flickered as new branches grew.
                                  Even when I am blind--darkness is not dark to you."  

 
Nora Kirkham, The Christian Century, June 5, 2019, P. 11.

    Darkness vs light?  How is this to be understood?  When I read this poem my mind flipped back to the quote that Tom shared with me: "What if the darkness is of the womb, not of the tomb?"  When is darkness not dark?  When is the dark generative and not debilitating?  
    Out of the darkness of Joanne's death has come transformation for me, all of which I'd gladly surrender to have her back.  Yet, she'd be astounded to know that, in this week back in Minneapolis, I have 9 social engagements scheduled with family and friends. Yes, I'm blessed!  "Better to light one little candle..."?


Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: