Monday, June 10, 2019

6/10/2017 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Today is Saul Bellow's birthday as noted in today's Writer's Almanac.  In the Almanac article about Bellow he is quoted with this response as to why he was still teaching in his 80's.  "You're all alone when you're a writer. Sometimes you just feel you need a humanity bath. Even a ride in the subway will do it but it's much more interesting to talk about books."
    That quote went ricocheting around my brain! 😃  It seems a perfect description of my motivation for continuing to teach school.  The metaphor I've used is needing to "fill my people bladder."  Once I've had a daily encounter with others to fill my people bladder I'm fine home alone.  This need for human contact became clear with Joanne's death and I could no longer rely on conversation with her.  With regularly scheduled school time I have my "humanity bath", it's more interesting than random encounters and I happily return to my introverted aloneness.
    Joanne recognized my introversion and feared that I'd become a social isolate, widower.  What she missed, and I didn't recognize until she'd died, is that relationship with her filled my "people bladder."  Therefore, I needed less social interaction with others.  After her death I recognized that I would need to take initiative to meet my people needs.  This is easily done with family, friends, school, and church.
Even in the land of grief life is good!

Takk for alt.

Al

No comments: