Friday, June 28, 2019

6/28/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Didn't we all grow up with the popular wisdom "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?"  Learning is for the young and old timer's aren't expected to lean new tricks, though I don't consider myself old.  There is a special delight that comes with mastering a skill that has long eluded one.  It's not that I don't continue to learn.  Every book we read in my history book club is a revelation of how little I know, but now at least, I know a bit more.   Perhaps some of the issue is intention.  Seldom do I make a conscious decision to learn a new skill.  My dabbling in farming often exposes me to learning and I'm blessed with a 'real' farmer in the family to whom I often turn for information and advice.  In my boyhood very little of our farming was done using hydraulics so hydraulic issues often challenge me now.  Perhaps that's a skill?  Yet, I'm not very skillful with hydraulics.  No, this skill is closer to home and one that has frustrated me until today.  Today I mastered it and I'm confident I have it down so will be able to use it in the future. (A little discursus here: Have you noticed how the phrase "going forward" has replace "in the future" in writing and conversation?)

Takk for alt,

Al

Oh?  The skill, you say?  With some advice from K B, I successfully folded a king size, fitted sheet! 😁

No comments: