Wednesday, June 26, 2019

6/26/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Garrison Keillor, wrote a piece that appeared online, about attending a wedding in a remote village in Portugal.  He painted a beautiful word picture of the scene and his enjoyment of being present even though he didn't know the language.  Toward the end of his article was this paragraph:
"What I especially remember is the young woman in the wheelchair, unable to walk or talk, but she seemed aware. She was the daughter of the cantor at the church. All evening, she was surrounded by people, uncles, cousins, holding her hand, caressing her cheek, stroking her hair. She laughed at the music. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. In this insignificant village in this small country, people care about each other, though some have left for better jobs in France, and their love for the community is exemplified by their care for her: nobody should be left out, no matter if she speaks or not."   This really speaks for itself.

    It happened again, as it did a couple of years ago when I ordered storm windows.  My old truck is heavy duty and quite high off the ground, it being 4 wheel drive and all.  It does not have running boards, i.e., a step to help getting in the cab.  In a truck accessory store in Brookings, a small city of 22,000, I ordered steps but they were not in stock.  The man taking my order asked for my phone number and said he'd call me when they arrived.  No down payment, no credit card number on hold...just my phone number...honesty assumed!  The steps are quite inexpensive but when I ordered storm windows at fairly significant cost it was "I have your phone # and I'll call you when they arrive."  Such assumed honesty nurtures my soul.

There is a small pollinator plot, 4 acres, I planted to a variety of native wildflowers and grasses next to my grassland.  Seeing Monarch butterflies on it today also nurtured my soul.

Takk for alt,

Al

Pictures milkweed in the grass and Trygve, faithful companion.

No comments: