Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Viral.....

    She came into the elevator at my condo building with cart and several cases of bottled water, 100s?  Chatting about Trygve with her, I wished I would instead have asked her if she was preparing for the COVID-19 virus. Subscribing to the Washington Post. as I do, I now get a special online posting of news about the virus. This was NOT a feature of our 1952 self-quarantine.
    Reading Garrison Keillor's weekly post today I found this paragraph.

    "I am old enough to remember the polio scares of the early Fifties when we stayed away from beaches and public pools and didn’t go to movie theaters. I was brought up fundamentalist so we didn’t go to movies anyway, and thus felt that God was protecting us and had sent the polio as a warning to Catholics and Episcopalians. So we avoided them, which we would’ve done anyway. To us righteous, polio was not that scary. Nobody in my family got it. A girl named Shirley did and she came from a family that drank and took the Lord’s name in vain. Case closed"

    Certainly this is in Keillor's style. The 1952 quarantine on our farm was broken by weekly trips to church. There was no danger we'd touch anyone as the passing of the peace had yet to be invented. "Greeting one another with a holy kiss"  was proof positive that the Bible was not always to be taken literally. With the three foot personal space we all maintained there little chance of contacting an infection.


Takk for alt,

Al
More fourth graders.

No comments: