Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Ruminations.

   Here are two quite different takes on the experience of self-quarantine.

"Days of social isolation have told us things about ourselves that we don’t want to know. Instead of using the time to read Tolstoy or listen to Beethoven, we watched a video of a cat sitting on a whoopee cushion."  ala Garrison Keillor 

"It is an interesting experience, a “less is more” time, which is not at all all bad. In fact, my mind is deluged with ways to think about this time."  Kathy Mohn  Grace University
 Lutheran's, Lenten Devotional.

   Mohn's "less is more" is a very helpful frame for this time of self-imposed isolation. So far my days have passed quickly and well with less to fuss about. Less certainly can be more as Mohn said in her profound devotion.

    Humor helps in times like these.  The Minneapolis Star Tribune's political cartoonist, Pulitzer Prize winning Steve Sack, offered some today. An armored car has stopped and is being guarded by a man with a weapon, Out of the back of the truck another man wheels out a carton of Charmin Tissue. 😄😄

   Which reminds me of a story witch of course is a total non-sequitur.  Walking down a sidewalk in Kunming, China, one day, a van pulls upside me. The doors fling open and men armed with machine guns pop out, one of whom shoves his at me nodding for me to back up. Guess what I did? Yes, I backed up, thinking "this is very interesting". Turns out it was the Chinese version of an armored car and they were transferring cash. So, if you're wondering, I lived to tell about it.

Takk for alt

Al
The government has ordeered all Thai schools (mine pictured) closed.

No comments: