Thursday, March 12, 2020

Freud would laugh!

     After last night's post about social distancing today's Minneapolis Paper had an article suggesting Minnesotans have an advantage in that realm due to Scandinavian norms. A woman from Denmark was quoted as saying "3 to 6 feet of personal space? that's way to close!"  😀😀
    Beginning my day with a 'three household' run to Costco was a trip. Arriving in the parking lot about fifteen minuets before opening, the block long line awaiting entry was a clue. Inside the building the queue to "bathroom tissue," which I've always called toilet paper, stretched far across the store. Most customers were buying two bales; at the 30 large rolls per bale.
    Smirking at this pattern I wondered what Sigmund Freud would say?   The COVID-19 virus has created much anxiety and it is very serious. As the stock market tanks perhaps we should be investing in the makers of bathroom tissue and, while we are at it, hand sanitizer.
    Today, I'm beginning more deliberate social distancing. That foray to Costco was my last public outing for a bit. Grace University Lutheran Church has suspended services and other events at least through the month of March. Saves me the necessity of  having to make a decision about going to church Sunday.
    This self-quarantine does not seem daunting for a mono-syllabic introvert like me. Were Joanne in my shoes she'd be more challenged. After her surgeries, as recovery progressed, I'd send out an SOS to 200 of her closest friends to call or visit, to buoy her spirits. A consultant once told me that I'd make a good POW, by which he meant, I think, that solitude does not threaten me.
   Lars persuaded me to read Halldor Laxness Independent People, which I've owned since 1998, but never read. The first pages are quite dense and may have wrecked previous attempts at reading it. Now that I've got into it, it's very good.  So many good books and maybe in lock-down I'll get more read.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: