Thursday, March 5, 2020

The gift of listening!

    "Seek out a listener.
     "Most grieving people find that it helps to share their thoughts and feelings with another person. There are caring people who will welcome the role of listener. You may turn naturally to a best friend or close family member. You may seek out a neighbor or colleague who has lost a loved one in the past. You may choose to speak to a clergy person, a grief counselor, or other professional. Whatever you do talk to someone."  From Winter Grief: Summer Grace: Returning to Life After a Loved one Dies, James E. Miller P. 20.

       There's a misunderstanding of introverts, that we don't like to talk, especially about ourselves. That's completely untrue. What we don't want to do is talk when other's are interested. If I begin speaking about myself and the listener sends a signal of disinterest I stop speaking. On the other hand, if the listener is attentive I continue and readily share what I'm thinking or feeling.
       My journey in the land of grief has been blessed with many who listen well and deeply to me. This has been a significant factor in my recovery. Both, family members and friends, have lent a listening ear.
        The followers of this blog, while often anonymous to me, have graced me with deep listening. Miller also suggests keeping a journal. Perhaps he should suggest keeping a blog if he does a revised version of his book. This blog, with its virtual community, has been tremendously therapeutic for me.
Previously I've written about the benefits to me o becoming clear about what I'm feeling so I can articulate those feelings in writing. In addition, the reality that people care enough to read it, and periodically respond, tells me that I've been heard. That is powerful and I am grateful!

Takk for alt,

Al

PS Sunday at 9:20 a.m., I'll talk about Thailand at Grace Lutheran's Adult forum. Given the change to daylight savings time I do not expect a 'standing room only crowd.' 😀
     
.

Phonm Penh  at night from a roof top restaurant. 

No comments: