Monday, March 9, 2020

More Likely!

     With every day that passes self-quarantine seems more likely.  That prospect has me trying to imagine what that would mean for me. Living, as I do, alone in a 15th floor condo, is a far cry from the farm based quarantine during the polio epidemic of 1952. My first images were of total isolation, staying in my comfortable place. Of course that's not realistic given the companionship of the world's best dog,Trygve. We could use the stairs, which I do once a day as a self-directed stress test, to avoid the elevator. Climbing those 214 steps 3 or 4 times a day? No, I don't think so!
     Geezers, like me, are the target of much advice to quarantine. The advice seems center on avoiding people contact and particularly crowds. It's a good thing I like my own company. Chapped hands are a sign that I'm washing them more frequently and more thoroughly. "Don't touch your face"...forget it I'm hopeless.  
     It is fascinating, and macabre, to watch it unfold. We are living through a world changing episode. After being led (?) by a crowd who are throw-backs to America's long tradition of "know-nothingism" suddenly expertise, recently dismissed, and, science also recently dismissed, are again in demand.  Yes, I confess to being a virus junkie of sorts. Tragic that it takes so many lives!
   The quote below is my blog post from March 1.

"It was a very different summer. With four children and a whole farm to explore it might have been much worse. The farmstead was surrounded by a grove of trees on three sides providing great places for children to play and explore. There were many places in the barn to play games. Of course there was the ever present farm work both in the fields and daily chores with milking, calves to feed chickens and hogs to tend.  Edna Meyers lived a half mile away and we could walk cross country to her house and she'd give us a haircut. The one break in the routine was attendance at church which we never missed.
     The year was 1952 and it was the height of the polio epidemic. Our solution that summer was to self-quarantine which we did. Dad or Mom would go to town for groceries but their children spent the summer isolated on the farm. Fear ran rampant because little was known of how polio spread.
    Perhaps we're on the verge of another time of self-quarantine as COVID-19, appears on the brink of a pandemic. My time in Asia has certainly raised my awareness. Scheduled to return on February 27, through Korea, I came back on Feb. 12. A few days after my February 27, original schedule, Delta Airlines discontinued it's flights from Korea. With 87,000 confirmed cases in more than 50 countries is it circumspect to think it will stop before it gets to us?
    Well, I'm prepared, I just laid in two months of dog food. 😋  Having experienced self-quarantine once I can do it again."

Takk for alt,

Al
Seafood feast.

No comments: