Monday, March 2, 2020

Keeping me off the street!

      It was an innocent remark when I stopped in to say "goodbye" before heading off to Thailand.  Since 2011 I've been volunteering at Noble Academy, a Hmong Charter School for grades K-8. Beginning as an in-room volunteer in 5th grade my position changed to on of enrichment for the most advanced students in class. It's a perfect volunteer gig; I read books with small groups of the best readers three mornings a week, i.e., Mon-Wed. Much of what I do in the process is help them with vocabulary.
   The leaders of Noble, Neal Thou, Superintendent and founder, and Dr. Mia Yia Chang, Deputy Superintendent, have always been very supportive of my volunteering. They are also fascinated by my teaching in Thailand, in fact, Thou once visited my school in Thailand. When I said 'goodbye' in January I mentioned that I'd like some help with my schedule next fall because there are gaps in it when I have no students.
    Shortly after I returned from Asia, as I checked in with the receptionist to begin my day, she told me that Thou and Chang wanted to see me. They asked me several questions about my experience; did I want to continue accelerated reading? "Yes!" Having always worked with grades 5-8, would I be open grades 3 and 4? "Yes." They soon had the principal on the phone, told her to see that my schedule is filled out and told her to meet with me. The principal is new this year, and she too, is very supportive.
    Now I have full schedule; beginning at 9:30, I have a group each half hour ending at noon. Included in my schedule for the first time are two groups of 4th graders. They are very good readers.
    Being a Hmong charter school all students study Hmong language and culture. Perhaps 80% of the students are Hmong and the next largest group is African. The school is very serious about academics and the school day is an hour longer than is that of the public schools.
   Yes, I really enjoy my time there.

Takk for alt,

Al
Fourth grade.


No comments: