Thursday, March 19, 2020

A natural impulse.

     Tomorrow it will be a week since I began my isolate routine.  It is what Joanne feared, that when she died, I'd become a social isolate. Well, I have, now almost two years after her death. But it didn't happen when, or the way, she feared. No, I'm just doing my best not to be viral. There is something very unnatural about this isolation.
    Typically when there's a problem, or a crisis, people 'roll up their sleeves' and pitch in. "Let's go to work and solve this situation." But, now, we're told the best thing we can do is stay away. stay home, don't go out, don't do anything but hunker down. That's totally against our natural impulse to be helpful. You mean the best I can do is hang at home?
    Oh, yes, the rationale makes sense; flatten the curve of infections, allow hospitals and health providers opportunity to deal with manageable numbers. Perhaps be one of the lucky ones who stays virus free until a vaccine is available. Where are the anti-vaccers now?
   Speaking of which, a recent article pointed out that the anti-vaccine movement suffers from forgetting history. Having not lived when the diseases controlled by vaccines were rampant they complacently think shots aren't important and probably harmful. Likely they'll all line up for a virus shot if the virus is as deadly as predicted.
    Speaking of Joanne, as I did earlier,I have a tee-shirt she gave me. The logo says "BOOKS: Helping Introverts Avoid Conversation Since 1454.


Takk for alt,

Al

The principal of my school is not afraid to get her hands dirty.

No comments: