Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Social Distancing!

    With all the news about the COVID-19 virus there's a new phrase in our lexicon "social distancing."  Social distancing...I was raised on social  distancing. Social distancing was so much a part of my childhood I hardly remember being touched. You know the old joke about an extroverted Norwegian American? He looks at your shoes when he talks to you. 😀 That's my culture, one that claimed three feet of personal space. So this social distancing is nothing new to me.

    This historical note was in today's Writer's Almanac
"It was on this day in 1918 that the first cases of what would become the influenza pandemic were reported in the U.S. when 107 soldiers got sick at Fort Riley, Kansas.
It was the worst pandemic in world history. The flu that year killed only 2.5 percent of its victims, but more than a fifth of the world's entire population caught it — it's estimated that between 50 million and 100 million people died in just a few months. Historians believe at least 500,000 people died in the United States alone."
     My aunt Ella, died in that pandemic and her brother, Oscar, who had come home from Canada to visit, almost died.

  Lars sent me this corrective to my post last night.
" I hope you’ll point out to your readers that the “no such thing as a free lunch” axiom that is so central to the teaching of economics is, at its most fundamental level, a values statement, and one that runs directly counter to our theology.  It’s always important that we challenge our assumptions and widely-held “truths” that are really propping up an idolatry of so-called “free market” capitalism."

Takk for alt,

Al

Today's random photo: Ripe mango & sweet sticky rice.

No comments: