Wednesday, June 6, 2018

6/6/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — 39 minutes ago
  Long, long ago and far, far away...or was it?  On Sunday, May 31, 1964, I graduated from Augustana College (now University).  Six days later, on Saturday, June 6, Joanne and I were married at First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls, S.D.  Pastor Marcus Gravdal presided and Joanne's father, the Rev. Oscar C. Hanson did the homily and the vows.
   Joanne had resigned her position with Augustana College to accept a position as counselor with St. Louis Park High School, St. Louis Park, MN.  That position was contingent on her completing a counseling practicum needed for licensing by the state of Minnesota.  To fulfill this requirement she enrolled at the University of S.D., Vermillion, in a six week course which began Monday, June 8.  
    With so little time between wedding and the beginning or her practicum we had a very brief honeymoon.  What little time we had was spent at Holiday Inn, Sioux City.  How romantic was that? So, maybe the next fifty-three years plus was all honeymoon.  Because she's not here to correct me, I will let that assumption stand.
     Joanne planned the wedding service.  Love Divine all Loves Excelling was our processional music.  The Augustana Choir sang.  The reception was in the church basement, where else would it be?  The Norwegian krunsakaka provided bit of variety.
     My job during my senior year at Augustana was working for First Lutheran.  The church provided me with an apartment in the building and I was a janitorial assistant, locked the doors at night and served as night watchman.  Joanne's mother, with some trepidation, entrusted me with keeping the krunsakaka the night before the wedding,with strict instructions to allow no ants on it.  I had never seen an ant in my apartment but in the middle of the night I realized I hadn't put out the ant poison.  With visions of a potentially irate mother-in-law, I leaped from my bed and deployed the ant traps.  Yes, the krunsakaka was delivered with no ants.
      So, fiftyfour years later, I find myself alone.  No, that's not accurate, the embrace of family, friends, congregation and even acquaintances is proof that I am not alone.  Far from being alone, I'm enveloped in sea of caring. It gives me hope, it is life giving and I am profoundly grateful even as I live with the presence of absence.

Blessings,

al

No comments: