Friday, June 15, 2018

6/1//18 Caring Bridge

The Cemetery.
Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Jun 11, 2018

      The cemetery is filled with dead people.  Quite the amazing insight, that.  With Joanne there, I visit frequently, though cemeteries have always fascinated me.  First, I stop to visit Joanne.  Then I wander among the graves, many of persons I have known.  Children's graves are especially poignant as I contemplete the grief of the bereaved.  Chiseled in stone are the details of married couples, as I consider how long one lived after the other died...some as long as 40 years.
      What does it mean for me to go on with my life when Joanne's has ended?  Some aspects of life seem fairly normal.  There are things I enjoy, little moments of joy, meaningful conversations and worthwhile things to do. Then there are the lonely moments, the times when the presence of absence is powerful. 
       The compassion of those around me continues to fill my cup of gratitude.  Knowing that I am not forgotten is more important than I can express.  Even when absence is powerfully present it is a blessing not to be forgotten.

Blessings,

al

No comments: