Saturday, June 2, 2018

5/27/18 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — May 27, 2018
There was a bit of lichen growing on my Grandmother, Sigrid Negstad's, grave stone, which I very close to whee Joanne is buried.  After cleaning it off I wandered over to where my Uncle Henry Negstad, and his wife Inga, are buried.  Henry's stone was so covered with lichen part of it was unreadable.  Time ran out before I accomplished much lichen removal.
    This morning Mai-Evy and Sella accompanied me to the cemetery.  We added water to the vase holding roses on Joanne's grave.  Then the girls washed the bird poo off the large NEGSTAD marker. With that accomplished, we tackled the lichen on Henry's and Inga's  markers.  Sella went to work on Inga's stone and Evy on Henry's.  Who knew they would get into such a task? but they did, scrubbing away until both stones gleamed in the sunshine.
    Enthused by their success they went looking for more stones to clean.  Next on the list was my Cousin Leslie Negstad's and his wife Esther's.  No lichen on that marker just more bird doo.  All of this was a opportunity for me to tell stories about these members of my family.  
     The pain of absence being in the cemetery was ameliorated by the joy of working on a common task with my granddaughters.  I never imagined they'd embrace that task with such joy and energy.  Where might that lead?  Thanks to them several markers shine in anticipation of Memorial Day.


Blessings,

al

No comments: