Friday, June 29, 2018

6/23/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Jun 23, 2018
    It happened at lunch yesterday with Jon.  In the midst of a helpful conversation about Joanne, Jon said "Al, what gives you hope?"  I responded "That's easy to answer, hope comes though relationship, like us having lunch."
    The location of hope is a surprise to me.  Previous to this absence I'd never realized that hope would come to me through relationship. It is not the words so much as the connection.  I hunger for connection.  Joanne worried that I'd withdraw and perhaps isolate myself.  Now, I see so clearly what a terrible mistake that would be.  Never have I needed people the way I do now.  Isolated and alone would almost certainly precipitate a destructive downward cycle.
     Today I attended Sindy T's funeral.  The blessings for me came in the fellowship time after the service.  There was the experience of genuine connection with those who also the grieve the absence.  It's gift, pure gift, to be in the presence of others while I mourn the absence.  Yes, I'm truly blessed.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: