Friday, June 29, 2018

6/25/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Jun 25, 2018
   It wasn't new, far from it.  Repainted, it glistened in Farmall red.  It ran well and I liked driving it.  Joanne received it with grace, when I gave it to her as an anniversary present.  Her tractor, a 1941 Farmall M, was purchased at LaVern Quam's sale in Sinai.
   Joanne was bemused by my tendency to buy and sell tractors.  Somehow, she always managed to track the number in my collection at any given time.  When I was asked how many tractors I had, I'd turn to her and she'd give the correct number.
    Several years after giving her the tractor I attended Alton Quam's sale.  Alton and LaVern were brothers.  There were two Farmall M's on the sale.  With no intention of buying, I entered the bidding for one when it was going to sell too cheaply.  LaVern was a friend and I thought his tractor should bring him more than it seemed it would, as the bidding slowed.
    Perhaps you're not surprised that I had the winning bid.  It was a 1950 model with some special features, 9 speed and live hydrualics, so an upgrade from Joanne's M.  Not needing two M's I sold Joanne's.
    Opps!  She was more attached to her tractor than I knew.  Perhaps only in fun, she enjoyed telling other's how I'd sold her tractor and she didn't even get any money from it.  When I get back to my home computer I'll post a picture of her driving it.
    This reminiscene was promted by the juxtipositon of Joanne's grave and some of our land.  The cemetery, just west of Sinai, is along the road I drive on a tractor when I'm going to the field.  It strikes me that Joanne would be amused that I visit her grave via tractor.  She, was indeed, a good sport!

Blessings

Al

No comments: